If you’re experiencing problems with your water heater and it’s taking too long to heat your water, don’t panic. There are a few things that you can do to troubleshoot the problem and get your hot water back as soon as possible. In this blog post, we discuss some of the most common reasons for a slow water heater and provide tips on how to fix them.
If you are still having problems or determine that you need a new water heater, please consider calling Hedlund Plumbing. We are here to help!
Tips for Fixing a Water Heater
1. Temperature Setting. Check to see if the water heater is set to the right temperature. This may seem too obvious, but you never know if it got changed by someone else in the house.
2. Sediment. Periodically water heaters need to be flushed of sediment build-up that can collect within the tank. Simply hooking a hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the water heater and opening the drain valve for a minute will help clear out any loose sediment. For older heaters it’s possible that no water will come out of the drain valve when opened, which is a sign that the tank sediment is thick enough to cover the drain hole. In this situation there is nothing that can be done aside from replacing the complete water heater.
3. Thermostat. Inspect the thermostat to make sure it’s working properly. Check out this helpful article to learn how to Test A Water Heater Thermostat In Minutes: 13 Easy Steps
4. Tripped Breaker. If you have an electric water heater, check to see if there is a tripped breaker or blown fuse
5. Exhaust Pipe. Clean out the exhaust pipe to ensure proper ventilation. A clogged vent won’t let air through and into the pipes, so the water remains stagnant in the plumbing system. Here is a great video that walks you through it.
Most water heaters have a life expectancy of 10-15 years. If your unit is on the older side and you find yourself frequently having to wait for hot water or there is simply not enough hot water, it may be time to start shopping for a replacement. Of course, before you give up on your current water heater entirely, it’s always worth checking with a plumbing professional to see if there are any easy fixes that could extend its lifespan. At Hedlund Plumbing, we’re happy to help our customers troubleshoot their units and recommend replacements when necessary. Give us a call today if your water heater isn’t providing the hot water you need or if it’s taking too long for your shower to heat up in the morning. We look forward to helping you keep your home comfortable all year round!
About Hedlund Plumbing
The solution to all your plumbing repair, installation, and maintenance needs. Our local Lansing plumbers are fully licensed and insured professionals. We arrive on time in a marked van ready to go with the tools and materials to complete the job. Our commitment to our customers is why we are considered by many to be the top Lansing plumber.